Woodland Forge at Lutherlyn
The Woodland Forge is designed to bring opportunities for creative expression, arts education, and new skills.
The Blacksmithing Forge can accommodate 4 students.
Meals are prepared by our chef and served buffet style in our dining room. Our chef and staff can accommodate dietary requirements as necessary. Please include any dietary requirements with your registration form. Our chef may contact you for additional information shortly before your visit.
This class is open to those brand new to the art of smithing as well as experienced students. The small size of the class allows the instructor to individualize the class to the needs of the students. It will start or continue you on the path to developing the core skills of smithing: drawing, tapering, hot cutting, hot punching, forge welding, bending, twisting, scrolls, and leaves. All materials and supplies are included.
Students must be at least 16 years of age.
Flavius Brinsfield (featured in the photo above) provides hands-on instruction in the Woodland Forge at Lutherlyn, guiding students through their blacksmithing journey. Flavius has been shaping iron for nearly 50 years. With a love of fire, iron, and hammers he pursues the tradition of the village blacksmith. "It's fun and mesmerizing to get something hot, beat it into submission, and come up with cool stuff that is useful, practical, and pretty."
All Blacksmithing Classes are 9 am - 5 pm and include lunch for $150 per person.
You will receive a confirmation with your class date and other important details.
2023 Class Schedule:
- March 18, 2023
- April 29, 2023
- September 9, 2023
- October 14, 2023
- November 18, 2023
Groups of adults can reserve a full class session for a private party or contact Lutherlyn to schedule a private event. Please email email@example.com for more information.
Cancellations will be accepted up to 14 days prior to the class with a $40 cancellation fee. Within 14 of the scheduled class, refunds will not be given unless there is an emergency or COVID related issue.
- Please take the health and well-being of others, particularly those who may have compromised immune systems, into consideration when evaluating your own health prior to a retreat/event at Lutherlyn. While we certainly would love to have you here, we do not want others to get sick while attending a retreat.
- When sharing a cabin/sleeping space and meeting rooms with people from other households, it is important to consider multiple factors prior to arriving at Lutherlyn. If you have symptoms that indicate you could have a contagious illness (fever, vomiting, diarrhea, congestion, etc.) that could transmit to others, please cancel your reservation for a full refund.
- Lutherlyn will issue a full refund for ALL medical related cancellations.
- Anyone who tested positive for COVID-19 up to 7 days prior to the start of the retreat should cancel for a full refund. To come to a Lutherlyn retreat after having COVID you must be at least 1 full week past the positive test AND at least 24-hours symptom free.
- When possible, we recommend participants take a rapid COVID test prior to departing for Lutherlyn. For Lutherlyn retreats, when possible/available, we will provide rapid tests upon arrival.
- If symptoms develop while at Lutherlyn, please refrain from interacting with others, notify the retreat leader, and depart from Lutherlyn. A pro-rated refund will be issued.
- COVID-19 Vaccine is required for those age 18 and older attending Lutherlyn sponsored residential retreats (Quilting/Crafting, Advent Retreat, Grown-Up Camp, Family Camp, etc.). Medical Exemptions require documentation from an MD and a negative COVID test upon arrival. This does not apply for day events, those under the age of 18, and rental groups (although rental groups can establish the same policy for their group).
Lutherlyn General Policies:
It is expected that all guests follow these guidelines. Failure to follow these policies could result in removal from camp and forfeiture of payment. There are additional guidelines/policies, depending on the type of group. Those policies are outlined in the group contract or explained by the group leader upon arrival.
- No pets, no alcohol, no drugs, no fireworks, no firearms.
- Lutherlyn is a “Young Lungs at Play” facility. Smoking is only permitted in designated smoking areas.
- Children must be supervised at all times.
- Quiet time is 10pm-8am.
- Vehicles are not permitted on the grass. Load and unload vehicles at the designated area for each cabin village and then vehicles must be moved to main parking lot.
- There are often multiple groups on camp at the same time. Only enter the buildings/facilities that are reserved for your group. Do not enter cabins or facilities that are not for your specific group.
- Vandalism or destruction of Lutherlyn’s property or property of other guests will result in a bill for repairs/replacement and removal from camp.
- Helmets must be worn by kids (12 and younger) when riding bikes.
- Fishing is catch and release, barbed hooks must be crimped.
- A lifeguard must be present for swimming and all swimming/canoeing/kayaking must be arranged in advance with Lutherlyn. No one is permitted in the lake or pool area without a lifeguard.
- Ropes course/group challenge activities are off limits unless arranged in advance and facilitated by Lutherlyn staff.
Lutherlyn prefers online registrations to conserve resources and to more quickly serve you. Please register online if you are able to do so.
Create an Account and Register on our Online Registration Portal
(You will be navigated to a different website where you will create a profile that can be reused from one retreat to the next.)