December 1, 2018
Will someone de-throne our reigning King Plunger, Todd Garcia-Bish or will his boldness and coldness reign supreme for another year?!
On December 1st, 2018 a brave group of "Plungers" will take a chilly dip into Lower Lake to support the Annual Fund during Lutherlyn's final Pastoral Plunge!
We'll take lots of photos and videos to share the fun with everyone. We don't want anyone to miss seeing this spectacle! Feel free to take a look at our photos and videos from last year, it was great fun!
We'll serve hot beverages, s'mores, and have a roaring bonfire at Lower Lake Fire Circle to help keep our participants and spectators warm.
Please check back, we'll be adding more details soon!
December 1nd, 2018
Lower Lake, Lutherlyn
10:30 am: Check-In for Plungers
11:00 am: THE PLUNGE!! Campfire, Hot Chocolate, S'Mores at Lower Lake
11:45 am: Lunch in the Dining Hall*
* Lunch will be provided free of charge for our "Plungers", non-plungers can purchase a heart-warming lunch prepared by Chef Lisa for $5. *
Ways to Participate
There are several great ways to support this event. The first, for the brave-of-heart, is to become a "Plunger" and take to the water yourself. Plungers will work to acquire sponsorship from their family, friends, colleagues and parishioners. Plungers do not have to be pastors and can be anyone in generally good health*. A second option is to nominate a friend, colleague, or your church's pastor to participate and perhaps be their first sponsor. A third option is to sponsor one or more Plungers to help them reach their goal. Lastly, you can participate during the event as either a spectator or volunteer. We'll need help taking photos, passing out coffee, tending our bonfire and most importantly cheering on our Plungers as they take what will be a very cold swim!
* Though we expect this to be a very fun (likely hilarious!) event, we take the safety of our participants and guests seriously. Lifeguards and nurses will be present to ensure everyone remains healthy and safe.
2018's Plungers include
- Rev. Joel Benson (Trinity Lutheran Church, Butler)
- Tim Bock (Adventure Coordinator at Lutherlyn)
- Cara Bobby (member of 2018 Summer Staff)
- Metta Denk (Grown-Up Camper)
- Todd Garcia-Bish (Director of Environmental Education at Lutherlyn)
- Todd raised the most for his 2017 Plunge....can his reign continue??
- Sara Goncz (member of 2018 Summer Staff)
- Carrie Lane (former camper and friend of Lutherlyn)
- Katie McNeal (Office Manager and Registrar at Lutherlyn)
- Erica Miller (Grown-Up Camper)
- Chris Piatt (Camp Ranger at Lutherlyn)
- Holly Schubert (Assistant Director of Environmental Education at Lutherlyn)
- Rob Young (member of 2018 Summer Staff)
- Gloria Yount (member of the Woodland Quilters)
- Amanda Zelnis (member of 2018 Summer Staff)
- Liz Zeigler (member of 2018 Summer Staff)
If you'd like to sponsor one of the Plungers Click Here.
Check back often, as individuals commit to becoming Plungers we'll update this list.
2018 Plunger Documents and Fliers
500 Lutherlyn Lane Butler PA 16001
Lutherlyn is hosting several events December 2nd. For the safety of all parties, Lutherlyn requests all guests enter camp using the main entrance off Dick Rd. To obtain directions using GPS, online maps, or mobile app navigation please use 500 Lutherlyn Lane, Butler PA 16001.