- The Lutherlyn staff consists of 55 dedicated people specially trained (including First Aid and CPR) to ensure a safe, substantial, and enjoyable ADVENTURE IN FAITH!
- All summer staff participate in a 13-day intense training program to prepare them in the two weeks before campers arrive.
- A registered nurse, certified water-safety instructor, and lifeguards are in attendance at camp all summer long to provide for the health and safety of each camper.
- Background checks and a check of the National Sex Offender Registry are completed for every staff member and volunteer.
Our staff is led by Deacon Debra Roberts, Executive Director and Rev. Ryan Fitch, Assistant Director.
Lutherlyn is Accredited by the American Camp Association.
Why work at Summer Camp???
Working at Summer Camp is so much more than a job!
- Make a difference in the life of a child!
- Make lifelong friends!
- Gain valuable skills for life and future employment!
- Spend time outside!
- Grow in your faith while helping campers grow in their faith!
- HAVE SO MUCH FUN!
- Help campers grow in their independence, leadership, communication skills, and sense of self-worth!
- S'mores EVERY WEEK!
- SO MUCH MORE!
Lutherlyn is an outdoor ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America which is supported by the Northwestern and Southwestern Pennsylvania Synods. There are twelve people on our year round staff and we hire approximately 50 people for the summer. Summer Employees do not have to be Lutheran but must be Christian. All applicants will be interviewed prior to employment.
Check out this information from the American Camp Association about working at camp:
NEW SUMMER STAFF - Follow These Steps to Apply:
1.) Read the Information Below to Learn More About the Ministry of Lutherlyn and Employment Details
4.) Once Your Application and ALL Three References Are Received, You Will Be Contacted to Schedule an Interview
RETURNING SUMMER STAFF - If you have already served on summer staff in the past 3 years, please complete the Returning Staff Application. Returning staff DO NOT need to submit references again.
Who We Serve
We welcome campers without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, or income. Campers are broken up into the following age groups:
- Day Camp - entering grades 1-5
- Young Folks - entering grades 2-3
- Juniors - entering grades 4-6
- Junior High - entering grades 7-9
- Senior High - entering grades 10-12 and just graduated from high school
What We Do
Lutherlyn is a God-given place to be accepted, challenged, and sent. As a staff, we welcome and accept all campers just as they are. We challenge them to get to know each other, get to know more about themselves, grow in their faith, gain independence, and have a whole lot of fun in the process. We send them out into the world to let their light shine and make a difference in the world. Our first priority is always the safety, well-being, and supervision of the campers. We operate within a small group camping model that focuses on intentional group building in cabin groups that typically consist of 6-10 kids and one counselor.
The camp week runs from Sunday afternoon through Friday evening.
Typical daily activities might include: nature activities, games, hiking, swimming, crafts, boating, fishing, sports, creek walking, group building activities, group challenge activities, Bible study, worship, campfires, sleeping out, cooking out ... and more!
Sample Daily Schedule
7:30 Wake Up
8:00 Morning Watch (devotions)
9:00 Unit games/Unit staff meeting
10:00 Bible Study
11:00 Ropes Course or other cabin group activity
1:00 Horizontal Time
1:30 Swimming, hiking, crafts, etc.
2:30 Activity time for campers to choose activities individually
2:30 Camp Store Open
4:15 Skill craft time: Each staff person teaches a special skill
6:00 Cabin Clean Up
6:30 Evening activity
7:30 Evening Snack
10:00 Candle Power (evening devotions) and bed time
*The above schedule is rough and does not include the schedule for special programs, nor does it include our special all camp events. It is only a guideline and can be molded to fit the needs of each cabin.
The above schedule reflects a "Classic Camp" schedule. In addition to the Classic Camp program, we offer the following programs: Night Owls, Life In The Wild, Horse Camps, Family Camp, Arts Camp, Model Rocketry, Adventurers, and Day Camps. For more information on these programs, please see our summer brochure.
Job Descriptions Summary
- Unit Leader: At least 21 years of age with camp experience and strong leadership skills. Supervises counselors, organizes, plans, and works with program areas daily. Must have drivers license and a clean driving record.
- Residential Counselor: At least 18 years of age and graduated from High School. Lives in a small group of 6-10 campers as their guide and role model for the week. Leads camp activities, Bible studies, worship, group building, and more.
- Adventure Program Coordinator: At least 21 years of age. Must have experience with rock climbing, belaying, and outdoor adventure activities. Coordinate and facilitate adventure activities (on and off site). This includes: High ropes course, zip line, climbing chimney, bouldering room, off-site rock climbing, off-site biking, and other special adventure trips. Must have driver's license and a clean driving record. Training provided by Lutherlyn.
- Adventure Counselor: At least 21 years of age . Lives in a small group of 6-10 campers as their guide and role model for the week. Leads camp activities, Bible studies, worship, group building, recreation, and more. Adventure counselors will be the counselors for the Adventurers program and other programs with off-site adventures. Additional training will be provided prior to summer staff training. Must have an interest and some experience with rock climbing. Must have driver's license and a clean driving record.
- Day Camp Director: At least 21 years of age. Lead the Day Camp program at each site. Supervise the Day Camp Counselors. Plan the daily schedule with the Day Camp Counselors and the Day Camp Site Coordinator. Must have drivers license and a clean driving record.
- Day Camp Counselor: At least 18 years of age and graduated from High School, with special interests in working with young children, kindergarten through 5th grade. Same as a counselor but works off-site at churches Sunday through Friday for at least half of the summer. When on-site this person is a residential counselor.
- Waterfront Director: At least 21 years of age, holding a current lifeguard certification and WSI or equivalent. Oversees the safe operation of the pool and swimming lake as well as boating program. Leads and directs a waterfront staff of three lifeguards.
- Lifeguard: At least 17 years of age, holding lifeguard certification or higher. Guard and supervise a safe pool and lake waterfront program under the direction of the Waterfront Director.
- Cooks: At least 18 years of age. Enjoy people and cooking. Work under the supervision of the Food Service Manager. Prepare meals, assist in inventory control, carefully follow health standards and assist with kitchen clean-up. Must have some food service experience.
- Kitchen Staff: Must be 17 or older. Enjoy working with people and food. Work with others to prepare, serve, clean-up and carefully follow health standards. Assist cooks in meal preparation. Includes dish washing, scrubbing pots and pans and serving meals.
- Grounds Crew: At least 17 years of age. Assist the Site Manager in all aspects of grounds, facility, and equipment upkeep and repair. Includes repair, farming, mowing, cleaning and general upkeep.
- Store Manager/Stepping Stones Coordinator: At least 19 years of age. Manage the camp store and camp store accounts; run the camp store. Assist the summer registrar with tasks related to summer registration. Communicate daily with the Stepping Stones Day Camp Program to coordinate their activities and use of camp.
- Media Director/Photographer: At least 19 years of age. Take photos and video of campers and camp activities daily. Update the web site daily with the current photos, video, and news. Print and distribute camper mail and e-mail. Send e-mail updates to campers and parents.
- Riding Instructor: At least 19 years of age. Assist the Equestrian Director in training, feeding, health care, equipment up-keep, and overall safety in the horse program. Assist in teaching campers proper care and riding techniques. Must have horseback riding experience.
- Crafts Director: At least 19 years of age, with a special interest in crafts and working with kids. Organize, stock, order and maintain craft supplies for a creative crafts program. Teach campers and staff various crafts and supervise campers while they work.
- Crafts Assistant: At least 17 years of age. Assist the Crafts Director in all aspects of the crafts program.
Staff Positions and Salaries (per week)
|Position||2022 Salary Range||2022 Contract Dates|
|Unit Leader||$270-$280||May 25- Aug 6 or 13|
|Day Camp Director||$265-$275||June 5-Aug 6|
|Day Camp Counselor||$260-$270||June 5-Aug 6|
|Counselor||$260-$270||June 5-Aug 6|
|Adventure Program Coordinator||$260-$270||June 1-Aug 13|
|Adventure Guide/Counselor||$260-$270||June 5-Aug 6 or 13|
|Riding Instructor||$255-$265||June 5-Aug 6 or 13|
|Store Manager/Stepping Stones Coordinator||$255-$265||June 5-Aug 13|
|Waterfront Director||$260-$270||June 5-Aug 6 or 13|
|Lifeguard||$255-$265||June 5-Aug 6 or 13|
|Crafts Director||$260-$270||June 5-Aug 6|
|Crafts Assistant||$255-$265||June 5-Aug 6|
|Media Director/Photographer||$255-$265||June 5-Aug 6|
|Kitchen Staff||$255-$265||June 5-Aug 6 or 13|
|Residential Grounds Crew||$255-$265||May 25-Aug 6 or 13|
|Commuter Grounds Crew||$345-$355||May 25-Aug. 13|
|Residential Cook||$265-$275||May 25-Aug. 13|
|Coommuter Cook||hourly||May 24-Aug. 25|
**Some contracted through August 13th
The pay periods include the thirteen day staff training. Program staff will also receive first aid and CPR certification as a part of the training at no charge. Some contract durations may vary as needed. If a staff member quits or is dismissed before staff training is complete, they will not be paid for any of staff training.
Lutherlyn is a Pennsylvania State approved Work-Study site. Those who qualify may be eligible for $500-$700 in matching funds through this program. For information go to www.pheaa.org/.
Lutherlyn will conduct a Criminal Background and Sex Offender Check of all employees and volunteers. Staff who may drive camp vehicles will be required to provide Lutherlyn with Drivers License information.
The Programs We Offer
Click on this link to see our Program List and descriptions
Some Specifics for the Summer of 2022
The first two weeks of employment (June 5-June 17) will be spent in staff training. Staff training will include: CPR and First Aid Training, Ropes course facilitator training, group building skills, position specific skills (e.g. counseling, kitchen procedures, Day Camp curriculum), and MUCH MORE!
Camper weeks end on Friday night. Staff will be off from 9pm Friday through 11:00am on Sunday. We will work on Saturday, June 11 (middle of staff training) and Saturday, August 6 (last day for staff).
Upon hire, each employee will receive a Staff Covenant with details about the specific position, employment dates, and salary. Most positions are contracted from June 5-August 6. Some exceptions for longer or shorter periods may apply by position. Employment dates will be listed on each individual staff covenant. A signed Staff Covenant is required prior to the start of employment.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Each staff person receives a weekly salary plus room and board. Worker's compensation is also provided. The salary is paid every two weeks.
Background checks are required for all Lutherlyn employees. Upon hire, Lutherlyn will provide the future employee with a packet of background check information. Lutherlyn will submit and pay for the PA Criminal and Child Abuse Clearances. The Employee will submit and pay for the FBI Fingerprint background check. Lutherlyn will also conduct a search of the National Sex Offender Registry. All background checks must be completed prior to the start of employment and employment is contingent on background check results.
All staff must complete a health form provided by Lutherlyn. No one is permitted to work/stay at camp until a completed health form is submitted.
Summer Staff must have all of the vaccinations that are required to attend public school in PA and be fully vaccinated for Covid-19. Vaccination dates/verification are a part of the required health form.
An I-9 form will be completed during staff training. Each employee must be able to prove U.S. citizenship or have proper visa identification.
Any staff member under the age of 18 is required to have a Work Permit completed and on file at the Lutherlyn office before employment may begin.
All staff are expected to participate in the pre-camp training program during the first fourteen (14) days of employment, unless arrangements are made prior to signing the covenant.
Each staff person receives at least 24 hours off each week. For most staff this is from Friday night through Sunday morning. In some cases the 24 hours must be granted at another time period during the week.
Evaluations are important and helpful for personal growth and program excellence. Staff will be required to participate fully in evaluations of the program, the staff experience and personal contributions. These may be both oral and written and may occur during the summer as well as at the conclusion of the summer. A written evaluation will be required before the end of employment.
INTERNET SOCIAL NETWORKING POLICY
In general, Lutherlyn views social networking sites (Facebook, Instagram, SnapChat, etc.), personal websites, and blogs positively and respects the right of employees to use them as a medium for self-expression. Employees should not have inappropriate content or details about their personal life on the internet that contradicts Lutherlyn's staff policies and expectations that parents, campers, or camp administration can access.
CONTACT WITH CAMPERS OUTSIDE OF LUTHERLYN
Staff may not contact campers (minors) outside of Lutherlyn via e-mail, phone, internet, or in person without the knowledge and consent of the camper's guardian.
Please contact Ryan Fitch (firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-865-2161) with employment questions.