Job Posting (published July 28, 2017)
Executive Director - Lutherlyn
General Responsibilities: Summary: The Executive Director shall have a demonstrated Christian faith; shall be responsible for carrying out the ministry of the Corporation in accordance with the policies and by-laws established by the Board of Directors; shall be responsible for the five core ministry areas of: summer camp, retreats, the equestrian program, the adventure program, and the Lutherlyn Environmental Education program; shall implement the Strategic Direction, hire and supervise staff; create and manage an annual budget.
Qualifications and Experience: Summary: Bachelor’s degree required, Masters degree preferred; minimum of 5 yrs. experience in management, non-profit management preferred; demonstrated administration skills of organization, finances, budgeting, decision-making, delegation, communication, and computer skills; ability to cultivate an accepting environment; ability to raise funds; possess a working understanding of Lutheran ecclesiology and theology in an outdoor ministry setting; completion of PA clearances and a background check.
A downloadable pdf of the Full Job Description and Strategic Direction are in the document below.
For more information or to submit an application (cover letter and resume), contact:
Rev. Sandra Jones
email@example.com or 814-589-7660
Application Deadline: August 18, 2017
Lutherlyn Executive Director Job Description
Our Core Purpose: Lutherlyn is a God given place to be accepted, challenged and sent.
Primary Function: The Executive Director shall be responsible for carrying out the ministry of the Corporation in accordance with the policies and by-laws established by the Board of Directors.
Responsible to: The Lutherlyn Board of Directors
And in relationship with the Presiding Bishop of the ELCA and the Bishops of the NWPA and SWPA Synods
Direction Exercised: Head of Staff and Chief Personnel Officer
1. The Executive Director shall be responsible for the five core ministry areas of: summer camp, retreats, the equestrian program, the adventure program, and the Lutherlyn Environmental Education Program.
2. The Executive Director shall implement the Strategic Direction.
3. The Executive Director shall be responsible for the hiring, supervision, and discharge of all other employees consistent with the policies of the Board of Directors.
4. The Executive Director in cooperation with the Finance Committee shall create and manage an annual budget. This budget to be presented to the Board in a timely manner for approval.
5. The Executive Director shall attend all meetings of the Lutherlyn Board and shall submit written reports to the Board of Directors at least seven days prior to each meeting.
6. The Executive Director is the chief development officer of Lutherlyn.
7. The Executive Director will develop an accepting environment for staff, campers, Board of Directors, synods, congregations, donors and others.
8. The Executive Director shall have a demonstrated Christian faith and upon becoming Executive Director become a member of a local congregation.
9. The Executive Director will have a yearly performance review by the Board of Directors and the Executive Director's continued employment/call is contingent upon favorable reviews.
Lutherlyn Executive Director Job Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree required, Masters preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in management, non-profit management preferred.
- Demonstrated administration skills with a proven ability to manage an organization, oversee finances and budgeting, structure work, delegate and make decisions both independently and collaboratively, work with and empower a staff.
- Ability to cultivate an accepting environment for campers, staff, Board of Directors and others.
- Demonstrated strong oral, written and computer skills.
- Demonstrated ability to raise funds.
- Demonstrated ability to inspire and motivate others and work with diverse groups and ages.
- Working understanding of Lutheran ecclesiology and theology in an outdoor ministry setting.
- Experience developing and directing faith based youth programs or outdoor education programs.
- Ability to get Pennsylvania Act 33 & 34 and Federal Act 61 clearances.
Lutherlyn Strategic Direction
The strategic direction is shaped by;
- Our core purpose statement that "Lutherlyn is a God given place to be accepted, challenged and sent"
- The financial realities
- A pledge to be good stewards of all the resources that we are given.
- Property assessment
The strategic direction focuses on the five core ministry areas of: summer camping, retreats, equestrian program, adventure program and Lutherlyn Environmental Education Program (LEEP).
The strategic direction acknowledges that for there to be growth within the 5 core ministry areas there needs to be a plan developed in cooperation with the E.D. that addresses the current core ministry areas in order to establish costs, maximum capabilities, usage, inefficiencies, maintenance and integration of programs.
We will build, rebuild, expand and diversify our relationships.
We will develop a board that has the skills, abilities and relationships to support and encourage the strategic plan.
We will build pathways to capital.
We will partner with congregations and the whole church to do God's work.
We will empower the executive director to fulfill this plan and her/his job description.
This strategic direction will be renewed and reviewed in 3 years and will be informed by input from our constituency.
The strategic direction will be reviewed by the board semi-annually.
Come experience Life-Changing Adventures in Faith during a week of fun at summer camp. Choose from a variety of traditional and specialty programs. We have a camp for you!
Lutherlyn is hosting a variety of weekend retreats and one-day events throughout this fall, winter and spring. There is something for every interest, age, and family size. See what is coming up next!
Use our on-line form to send a message to a camper that is currently at Lutherlyn. Remember, campers do not have internet access and will not be able to reply. Your message will be printed and distributed with the mail at lunch each day.